Animal Noise Complaints

People living in urban and suburban areas of King County should expect to live with some level of noise. Even rural areas can be impacted by noise. Traffic, neighborhood children, lawn equipment, and barking dogs are just a few examples. As a resident, you are expected to tolerate most of these noises within reason. However, in the case of excessive noise caused by a pet, there are several things you can do.

  1. Communicate with the pet owner

    Try to talk to the pet owner about the problem. Sometimes owners are not aware of the problem, especially when they are not at home. A neighborly discussion can be helpful. Try to work out a mutually agreeable solution, and allow the pet owner a reasonable amount of time to remedy the situation. Make note of the dates and times of your contacts with the pet owner and responses received.
  2. Send our helpful preventing noise nuisance materials to the owner

    Print out the Barking brochure and Noise Nuisance Letter, and share these materials with the pet owner. They are designed to help pet owners understand the problem and offer some ideas about correcting a noisy pet issue.
  3. Document and submit a Noise Complaint Petition

    If you have tried unsuccessfully to solve the problem by talking to the pet owner, and you have identified other neighbors who are also disturbed by the noise, we can assist you. Carefully follow the instructions on the Noise Complaint Petition Form. Document your experiences thoroughly and honestly, as you may need to testify at an appeal hearing.

    • Please note that you must have the exact address where the nuisance pet lives, a minimum of three complainants, and the form must be signed.

    Scan and email your completed Petition to, fax it to 206-205-8043 or mail it to:

       Regional Animal Services of King County (RASKC)
        21615 64th Ave. S.
        Kent, WA 98032

    RASKC will contact the pet owner to let them know a complaint was filed and that they must take action to correct the problem.
  4. If the noise continues

    Do not stop documenting the noise issues. If the steps above do not resolve the problem, RASKC can take escalating enforcement action. In order to do so, contact us with updated documentation of the continuing problem. We will continue to work on the noise disturbance as long as you and your neighbors continue to document the ongoing problems and submit information to us. As necessary, RASKC officers will be dispatched and may issue additional notices of violation until the problem is resolved.

If you have questions, please call 206-296-PETS (7387) extension 24, or email Our office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.