Building Department

Permit services are located at the Public Works Building. 

A Building Permit is required for any work that intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a structure. A permit is also required to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by the International Building Code.

The City of Duvall does not require a building permit to construct:
  • a non-covered deck, not attached to residence, and less than 30” above grade;
  • a residential accessory use structure that is used as a non-livable space and is less than 200 square feet;
  • a fence six feet or less in height*.
All types of improvements regardless of requiring a building permit are subject to land use regulations, e.g. property setbacks. Please contact the Planning Department, 425-788-1185, for more information.

Any construction that does not meet these parameters or is located within the floodplains will require a building permit. Also, it is the property owner’s responsibility to ensure that all setback requirements and minimum sight distances are met. Contact one of the Building Department staff if you need help with any of these issues.

Please read the State of Washington’s Requirements if you plan on a
cting as your own contractor.

Permit Fees and Paying for Your Permit
The Building Department does not take credit cards or cash, please bring a check with you when you come to pick up your permit. If you would like to discuss the cost of the permit before you submit your application, as well as when payment will be required for your specific project, contact the Building Department.

Schedule your Inspection
To schedule an inspection for any issued permit please call the inspection line at 425.788.1160 or email at least 24 hours in advance.

Roofing, Mechanical, and Plumbing Permit Information
Permits are required for the replacement of a roof in Duvall, and it is the property owner/contractor's responsibility to ensure that the roof is designed to withstand the city’s wind speed minimum of 85 MPH.

A mechanical permit is required to install or replace water heaters and furnaces.

Sign Permits
Please submit a completed City of Duvall Sign Permit Application along with two sets of plans on the complete details of the proposed sign. Contact the Building Department for more information concerning the requirements for a Sign Permit.

Electrical Permits
The City of Duvall does not issue Electrical Permits. Contact the Washington State Department of Labor and Industries (L&I) as the agency that has the authority to issue Electrical Permits in Duvall. Contact L&I at 425-990-1400, or visit the L&I Website or more information.